This park was created with the intention of establishing a housing development in the middle of nature, within the neighbourhood of Gracia. The plan was to build a total of 40 single-family houses on a 15-hectare site owned by Eusebi Güell, Gaudi’s patron. In the end, only two were built, one of which was occupied by Gaudí himself and which is now the House-Museum.
Between 1900 and 1914, Gaudí carried out the preparation work for this garden city, building roads, viaducts, and arcades that were fully integrated with the surrounding countryside.
The park, which covers an area of 17.18 hectares, was opened to the public in 1926.
Visitors to the park are amazed at the many elements that Gaudí built into it, such as the entrance lodges which were initially meant to be for caretakers and which now house the park’s Interpretation Centre; the flight of steps where we find the well-known colourful dragon; the hypostyle hall, an area with 86 columns that support the weight of the upper plaza; and the undulating bench that encircles the plaza.
The park was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1984.
Address: Olot, s/n
Buses: 24, 92
Metro: Vallcarca (L3)