The Royal Monastery of Pedralbes is a convent belonging to the Poor Clares, situated in the Pedralbes neighbourhood. Its buildings form a complex of Gothic-style monuments.
The monastery was founded by King James the Just and his wife Elisenda de Montcada in 1326, to be used as a retreat for the queen when she became a widow, which was expected to be soon, given the king’s age and health.
The monastery opened in 1327 after the death of the king, and the queen took up residence there in an annexed palace built for her. The monastery housed a community of Poor Clares.
In 1931, the monastery was declared a Historic and Artistic Monument. In 1938, the General Records Deposit was established, where the archives from different institutions were kept. Part of the monastery was opened to the public in 1949, and in 1975 a new convent was built in the former orchard in order to allocate most of older facilities to the Pedralbes Monastery Museum. At the end of the 20th century this was incorporated into the City History Museum. A small community of Poor Clare nuns still live in the new convent.
Address: Baixada del Monestir, 9.
Buses: 22, 63, 64, 75, 78, 101
Metro: FGC Reina Elisenda (L6)