Casa Mila - La Pedrera was built between 1906 and 1912, when it was commissioned by Pere Milà to architect Antoni Gaudí. Gaudí designed a remarkable Modernist building arranged around two inner courtyards which provided light and ventilation to the homes. The interior and exterior of the building displays curved shapes that are reminiscent of ocean waves.
The façade is exposed stone, with the exception of the roof, which is covered with white tiles. The chimneys are in the form of warriors, some of them covered with pieces of broken bottles used as mosaic tiles.
The people of Barcelona nicknamed the building ‘La Pedrera’ (The Quarry), expressing their discontent that it did not follow the rules of conventional style.
The building was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1984.
Today, you can visit the attic, the roof, and one of the apartments dating from that period.
Address: Provença, 261 - 265
Buses: 7, 16, 17, 22, 24, 28
Metro: Passeig de Gràcia (L2, L3, and L4) or Diagonal (L3 and L5)