In 1640, during the War of the Reapers, the city built a military compound in the place where there used to be a watchtower. This first fortress became royal property in 1652, and shortly after became one of the main protagonists in the War of Succession between 1705 and 1714.
In the mid-18th century, military engineer Juan Martin Cermeño undertook the remodeling of the enclosure that was badly damaged during the war. It was at this time that the castle started to take on the appearance it has today. Throughout history, the city of Barcelona was bombed several from the castle grounds, which also served as a prison. On 15 October 1940, the Catalan president, Lluís Companys, was shot to death. The castle was used as a military prison until 1960, when it was ceded to the city under the management of the army.
Montjuic Castle has been the property of the City Council since 2007.
Address: Carretera de Montjuïc, 66.
Buses: 50, 55, 193